Monday 18 April 2011

Holiday Spends and Winding lessons!

Hello, a much chilled and relaxed me greets you tonight. Although I am a lot poorer for the experience!
I went away to Shropshire with my mum last week. The second day in and I dragged her to WonderWool Wales in Buith Wells (http://www.wonderwoolwales.co.uk/) . Now this is the biggest wool show in Wales I believe and I knew I was going to be tempted, but not how tempted I would be. I was good and managed to buy nearly all my wool from the sale bins I found though lol but a Swaledale felted bag appealed too much and I bought the wool and now have a scrap of paper with the pattern (and the lady's number should I get stuck) on to do. I loved the idea that she only had a few sheep so could say which ones the wool actually came from in each of the varieties she had. Undyed Swaledale is gorgeous and I can't wait to have a go at it. Its on the bottom left of the picture.
The week also proved that I have a thing for green at the moment, and the bag of wool I dragged home is mostly green wool of the pale green/mossy green variety. I'll get a pic and stick it up soon with the weeks purchases on. Apart from the Swaledale I was also taken with a big batch of something cheap in off white with a black thread through it, fancy having a go at a patchwork blanket with it, so will be fun to see how it knits up as its full of slubs and then about a 4 ply in other places! Bottom right of the picture lol

The week was a learning curve in winding wool skeins. Wow is that monotonous work, but its easy to watch films and chat while doing it, which is a good job as I had about 25 to do...
Oh, will be back later, tea and tv calls.
http://www.colinette.com/ Well the second place we went to on holiday was Colinette, which is a small industrial unit in the middle of the Welsh countryside! The wool on the top right is the 15 balls I bought from there... which was all in Skeins. I have bought wool in Moss green and New Meadow green which I think they don't do any more. They are both gorgeous and plan to use one set in the lounge and the second in the dining room. Also bought some to wear if I can make something using the 5 balls of Art which is an Aran weight wool.
Do think that the photo doesn't show the colours very well, the bedding is Lime green, which on here looks mint green so guess its not the best when you use the flash.
I also bought some wooden needles on holiday which are fabulous to use, hoping to get more as they are easier than plastic or metal ones.
Picked up more information about the Woolsack Olympic cushion project http://littlehoundalesknits.com/WoolsackOlympicProject.aspx and I'm very interested in having a go at making a cushion for an athelete at the games for them to take home as a momento.
Oh dear, seems wool is starting to take over my life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment