Sunday 31 July 2011

Latest Projects

I referred to the fact that even though I'd not created anything out of buttons lately, I had still been creative. I've completed 3 projects in the last couple of months that I don't think I've mentioned on here.
The first was a cushion for my close friend Anna. She's a fan of purple and so when I saw this kit I just had to have it. I'd knitted it up fairly quickly as it was done in strips and then sewn together for the front. The back was done in one piece. Although it was man-made fibres it was lovely to work with and I think the end result was rather nice. I stuffed it throughly and its made a very soft and welcoming cushion, which Anna really likes.



The next pieces I have been working on are the blankets for the two neighbouring babies. I may have mentioned that I've babies on either side of my terraced house. Ellie is now 7 months old and Fin is 5 months old. I couldn't resist making something for them, and so I chose to make a blanket.
I took the traditional route, and have made a blue buggy blanket for Fin, and for Ellie I've had a go at a crochet blanket out of 42 'granny' squares which I then joined together with double crochet and edged neatly finishing with a picot edging. I chose purple and pink for the blanket, and joined and edged it in a green that her room is painted in, which is a great contrast. I've really enjoyed working on these two projects and think the pictures show that.



Its really brought home to me how much I enjoy creating things for other people and not only that, but I enjoy making homeware more than clothing. Its given me lots of ideas for myself and others for future pieces. I've some great wool to make a joint knitted/crochet blanket with and then I've several other designs I'd like to try too.

My next main piece will be a cushion for the Olympic Woolsack project which is now part of the cultural olympiad for next year. They are hoping to create 20000 cushions from British wool to give to all the participants of both Olympics and Paralympics next year. I'm hoping to create at least two and the first is underway currently!  http://www.woolsack.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment